Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Basil pesto, vine-ripened tomato and bread.

My school has a hydroponic lab and they grow flowers, lettuce, basil and much more.  I decided to get a bag of basil good price at $3.00.  But now I had to figure out what on earth I was going to do with all that basil.  I love pesto so why not. 

I made a very basic pesto: 2 cups basil, 3 garlic cloves, 1 tsp seasoned salt, couple dashes of ground pepper and about a 1/4 olive oil.   Mixed it all in my mini chopper.  If you are going to freeze pesto you only want to put in about half of the olive oil in the mix and than just drizzle the rest on top.  When you take it out of the freezer and thaw it it will come out tasting like it was just made.

 For dinner I pared it with some bread sprayed with Pam and toasted (tip to avoid the added calories of oil or butter) and a vine-ripened tomato.  Was so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment